Sunday 30 October 2011

Great Snakes, Thundering Typhoons and One Amazing Film!

Here are two links to the Belgium Premiere and the UK Premiere (I hope they still work):
http://news.sky.com/home/video/16094993
http://www.livestream.com/tintinpremierelive 



Yes! That's right its the long awaited Tintin post. On Tuesday this week I finally, after weeks, months of waiting, I finally got to see The Adventures of Tintin: The Secret of the Unicorn. And it was AMAZING! I was literally laughing my head off, it was truely that funny and I am not just saying that because I am a HUGE Tintin fan. I saw it in 2D and the animation was near perfect. Both my sister and mum (on separate occasions) complained about the size of some character's noses but then I reminded them that that was how the drawing were like in the original comics. I loved every minute of it. I should mention that the opening credit sequence was beyond inspired. Using drawings from the comics and (my sister pointed it out) the actual font they use in the comics as well. Everything was thought of right down to the very last detail. It was excellent casting, Jamie Bell would have been my choice too, especially as he is also a huge fan of Tintin.



For those who aren't familiar with Tintin, he was created by George Remi, born in Brussels, Belgium. Remi wrote all his stories under the name Herge, which is how everyone remembers him. The first Tintin story appeared in a weekly children's magazine called Le Petit Vingtieme in 1929. There are 23 complete Tintin adventures and they have been translated into over 50 languages. The film is based on three of them; The Crab with the Golden Claw (where Tintin first meets Captain Haddock), The Secret of the Unicorn and Red Rackham's Treasure.

I got to see the film again, this time in 3D and at a really awesome cinema, The Ritzy in Brixton. First I had seen a film in the cinema and it was the first time I had enjoyed a 3D film even if I had to wear the glasses on top of my glasses. The film was even more amazing second time around and I laughed at the jokes more it seemed. Everyone in the room seemed to love it too. I have no idea what those critics were watching when they gave the film odd reviews. They obviously are not Tintin fans.



Other than see the film this week I finally finished a book, Tintin in the New World by Frederic Tuten. After reading the last page I kind of wished I hadn't. The end was so unbelievably depressing but I can't explain it any better or I might spoil the end. The story is about Tintin growing up and exploring his own mind and how he is looking for something more than an adventure. Any die hard fan should read it but I warn you, its nothing like the comics, its slow.

I'll end this post saying GO SEE THE FILM and this amazing bit of animation by a guy who was offered a job by Steven Spielberg after he saw this:
http://www.slimjimstudios.com/tintin.html
I did also have a link to an article about whether Tintin is gay or not but The Times newspaper has deleted it or won't let me access it. Oh well its out there somewhere.

I can't wait until the next Tintin film!!!