Wednesday 14 December 2011

One of the Greastest American Classics Soon To Be a Motion Picture, Again!

"Everyone suspects himself of at least one of the cardinal virtues, and this is mine: I am one of the few honest people that I have ever known." - F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby, Ch. 3



The Great Gatsby is my favourite novel and has been since I studied it back in College and had to write a really bad essay on it. During class I did well, I followed what was happening and actually was interested in the themes and the characters but the essay I wrote was so bad, I think I got a B for it (to me that's bad).

The Great Gatsby (1925) is one of the greatest American classics. The novel was written in Paris by F. Scott Fitzgerald, and it has come to be seen as a representation of the Jazz Age. The Great Gatsby captures post war disillusion and the moral failure of a society obsessed with money and status.  It tells the story of the eponymous Gatsby and his tragic pursuit of his dream and long lost love, Daisy. The story is told through Nick Carraway who relates the story.



There was a film made in 1974 with an amazing cast with Robert Redford as Jay Gatsby, perfect casting for the time. But for me, the film lacked something. The story was like the book, the settings and locations near perfection, but to me the story felt empty despite the good acting and how it looked. This is why I was so excited when I found out there was another adaptation of the novel, directed by Baz Luhrmann (Moulin Rouge, Romeo + Juliet, Australia). Judging but the unauthorised photographs and official ones too, the production is in good hands. Plus with Leo DiCaprio as Gatsby (again perfect casting) and Carey Mulligan as Daisy I think this film with fulfill my dreams of my favourite novel coming to life. Apart from the fact Baz is shooting the film in 3D, a story like this needs no gimmicks.

Tobey Maguire is playing Nick Carraway, Joel Edgerton is playing Tom, Daisy's husband and Isla Fisher is playing Myrtle Wilson (but I don't think she is right for that part)

Here are a few photos from the new production for you to enjoy:



The film is said to be released in USA December 25th 2012 but no word on a UK release date. But until then, go and read the novel and if you've already read it, read it again!