Thursday, 13 October 2016

Thursday Movie Picks: Creature/Monster Features


This theme I struggled with as I'm not entirely sure what counts as a 'creature'.

 Don't forget to check out what Wandering Through the Shelves picked, the blog that started Thursday Movie Picks.


Black Sheep


No werewolves right? There was nothing about were-sheep. A Weird horror comedy from New Zealand that I actually saw in the cinema for my friend's birthday. We saw it as there was nothing else on but it wasn't too bad. After a weird couple of accidents in his youth, Henry returns to home to his family's sheep farm. Henry has a phobia of sheep. Elsewhere, some activists release a mutant sheep by accident, but its too late. The sheep wreck havoc throughout the peaceful New Zealand countryside and Henry is forced to face his fear.

Lake Placid


I watched this film years ago, by accident. This always happens, late night, mistake a film for something else end up terrified. A gigantic saltwater crocodile has been attacking people on Black Lake so crack team; Brigit Fonda, Bill Pullman and Oliver Platt go to investigate. Basically Betty White has been feeding it for years even after it killed her husband. So, who's the real villain of this story?
Godzilla
 This could be in the sci-fi category too but Godzilla is technically a creature and he sure does feature. Ancient reptile appears from the depths to save us all from the other hideous creature and as they fight, cities are destroyed and its beautiful to watch.

11 comments:

  1. I liked the Godzilla remake, I know I'm in the minority there. I've always wanted to watch Black Sheep. I remember laughing my ass off at the trailer the first time I saw it. It's been years since I've seen lake Placid.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't seen Black Sheep but it sounds odd, hardly surprising given the subject matter.

    Lake Placid is such a mess but hey anything that puts a badass Betty White in the spotlight is okay by me.

    You didn't say what iteration of Godzilla you were talking about but every one I've seen has been dreadful, though the first is the best because it was awful in that honest way that originals are. The remakes all try to match it and inevitably fail.

    I won’t pretend these are decent movies, theme doesn’t really lend itself to top flight fare. Because of that I decided to go all out and scrap the bottom of the barrel.

    Tentacles (1977)-Balderdash about a killer octopus terrorizing a resort town, and not just in the sea but on land!!! Three Oscar winners, Henry Fonda, John Huston & Shelley Winters, and several other respected performers collect a paycheck.

    Empire of the Ants (1977)-Shady real estate agent Joan Collins and a bunch of potential suckers for her latest scheme land on an island in the Florida Everglades that thanks to toxic waste has been overtaken by giant mutant killer ants!! Crunch and munch.

    Night of the Lepus (1972)-Bizarre cheapie about a genetic experiment gone wrong. Killer rabbits terrorize the countryside!! Hilarity ensues. Poor Janet Leigh from Psycho to this in only a dozen years!

    Bonus-Killer Bees (1974)-Young man (Edward Albert) brings his fiancée (Kate Jackson) home to his family’s vineyard to meet the matriarch of his clan Madame Maria von Bohlen (Gloria Swanson), who has a strange bond with the bee colony that is the backbone of the family business. Worth catching for the cast alone. This is somewhat out of the perimeter since it was a TV Movie of the Week but it’s surely the best movie on the list!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have not seen Black Sheep and probably won't but have seen Lake Placid which, even though it's campy, scared me...doesn't take much. I have not seen the latest godzilla film but love the original and i never did mind the horrible one with Matthew Broderick. it is bad but I can watch it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Godzilla is an excellent choice, such a classic! I can't believe I've never seen it though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really need to watch the original as everyone seems to dislike the remakes. Bit he's a fantastic monster :)

      Delete
  5. I think I watched the Black Sheep trailer once.. and was a bit weirded out and I don't really gravitate towards those type of movies. And I don't think I've seen Godzilla either, the old nor the remake..Shame really.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Out of the two Black Sheep is a better watch :)

      Delete
  6. Man, I need to see Black Sheep. Haven't heard of it before now. How is this possible?

    Lake Placid is goofy fun. Almost picked it, myself.

    I'll pretend you picked the original Godzilla and not the boring dreck that came out a couple years ago.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's kinda silly and disgusting but funny too. Good combination.

      Hahahah I know people hated it and there wasn't enough actual Godzilla in the film but I was not picking the 90s shit storm. I should see the original. ..

      Delete
  7. Omg, Lake Placid! I haven't seen that in years but it was so much fun. Great picks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It is one of those films though right? You saw it years ago and it pops up randomly

      Delete