Wednesday, 2 November 2016

Thursday Movie Picks: Middle Eastern Language Movies


This week my picks all have a theme, its all about the women. I did want to pick Caramel but I had a feeling I already picked it for another theme. And Wedding Doll was a close pick but I went these three brilliant films.

Don't forget to check out where it all started on Wandering Through the Shelves.
  
Zero Motivation
An Israeli comedy about military service, particularly focusing on three women. Zohar, just trying to get through her service with as little enthusiasm as possible, Daffi, who just wants to move to a better base in Tel Aviv and Rama, who hopes to make the military a career. It is very funny in places despite some of the more serious and sinister stories. It’s a gem that I saw the trailer of years ago but it never got a UK release, but the powers that be (help from a family member) I was able to see it with very bad subtitles, but it was worth it.
Where Do We Go Now?
 Rather than choosing Caramel (as I think I chose it for something else) I’ve gone for Nadine Labaki’s second feature about a town divided because of religion. The women are the driving force in this film, trying to unite then distract then unite the men of the town, who are being ridiculous. Outside the town is an actual mind field, reminding us that war is on people’s doorsteps, with only a few people venturing in and out. The film begins with the women doing a dance at a funeral, which is beautiful but filled with sadness and ends with a death and the women making the men understand what they have to do. It’s a brilliant film which makes it worse that Labaki hasn’t made a feature since. Where is she?
Dégradé
 I saw this last year at the LFF along with Wedding Doll, but I went with this film as it features a group of women trapped in a hair salon after shooting begins in the street outside. They shut the shop and barricade themselves. It is a wonderfully diverse group of women all with their secrets and problems. There are of course arguments and fighting but through it all and despite their differences, they band together.

11 comments:

  1. I've never heard of any of these, but all three are going into my Netflix queue if I could find them. They sound fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you find Zero Motivation on Netflix you've hit the jackpot. It wasn't even released in the UK.

      Delete
  2. I always appreciate a theme within the theme and this is a good one. Haven't seen any of them though my viewing in this particular area is beyond thin.

    My three choices are actually the only ones I could remember seeing, I almost went with Bride & Prejudice but that really would have been too much of a stretch though I do like that film.

    Dostana (2008)-Sameer “Sam” and Kunal are two handsome, single womanizers and casual acquaintances happily living in Miami. While apartment hunting they both want the same sublet but the landlord Neha wants only female roommates. What to do? They decide to pretend to be a couple to get around the problem which goes well until both fall for their roommate while still trying to maintain the façade that they’re gay. Fun romantic comedy which seems to go out of its way to objectify John Abraham who plays Kunal.

    New York (2009)-New York cabbie Omar (Neil Nitin Mukesh) is set up by the FBI in a ploy to force him to spy on his friend, Samir (John Abraham), a suspected terrorist. As Omar recounts his relationship with Samir he also reflects on his friendship with Maya (Katrina Kaif), now Samir's wife, and how their lives changed after 9/11. Agreeing to become an FBI spy Omar learns that this isn't the first time Samir has been targeted by the government.

    Jail (2009)-Honest citizen Parag Dixit (Neil Nitin Mukesh) is falsely accused in a drug case though his friend is actually to blame and imprisoned. Due to evidence against him and an overburdened organization he is denied bail suffering extensively at the hands of a callous, corrupt system. A strong indictment of Indian prisons.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. I'll try doing theme within a theme more. Not heard of your pucks but Dostana sounds like fun!

      Delete
  3. Interesting picks. Can't say I've heard of them. Good thing about the LFF is they such a diverse list of films.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what I love about LFF too- you find things you may never see again.

      Delete
  4. Haven't seen, nor heard of any of these. I'm so behind when it comes to movies from this part of the world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem - I think as everyone picked it A Separation is a good place to start then Caramel. Great movie.

      Delete
  5. I also wanted to pick Caramel but I picked it already for the female assemble week. Anyway, I need to check out Where Do We Go Now?, it sounds like something I'd like.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you liked Caramel you'll like Labaki's second feature. Just wish she'd make another

      Delete