Friday, 10 February 2017

Thursday Movie Picks: Prodigy/Genius


I should have just picked The Royal Tenenbaums as all three of them are child prodigies but instead I went for a genius, an wanted prodigy and an unlikely prodigy.

Don't forget to check out where it all started over at Wandering Through the Shelves.


The Imitation Game
Alan Turing was a genius. He was a cryptanalyst who cracked the German codes during World War two. The film is of two parts, his life during the war with his code cracking team at Bletchley Park and the second part in the 50s where he is arrested for having sex with another man. The film did try to hone in on Turing and his life but mainly focused on two aspects of his life, his intelligence and his sexuality.

Matilda
A classic Roald Dahl book made into an awesome 90s classic. Danny Devito directs, narrates and acts in the (I'm sure) loved film about a girl, clever beyond her years, who finds that she has telekinetic powers. She teaches her terrible parents a lesson as well as the villainous headteacher of her school.

Billy Elliot 
A boy from a mining town, wants to be a ballet dancer and has the talent to be one. But he keeps the secret about his lessons from his father and brother. This film was brilliant, is brilliant. Great cast and actually quite a good soundtrack. Had Cosmic Dancer in my head for ages after. Such a simple story that speaks volumes. Its such a shame they turned it into a musical....

17 comments:

  1. I only watched The Imitation Game and Matilda. I loved The Imitation Game for the subject matter and how intense the film has become.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fascinating subject, fascinating man.

      Delete
  2. I have not seen Matilda but I have seen the other 2. The Imitation Game is excellent and Benedict Cumberbatch should have won. I a, sad by the fact that I had no idea who Turing is..that is a crime and wish more people need to know who this great man was. Inspired choice with Billy Elliott! I almost picked this film and I loved it especially that this kid was just a natural wonder and who knew he would come from a town known for mining.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not seen Matilda! 90s classic (to me anyway). I thought the arts needed a mention in the picks with Billy :)

      Delete
  3. I loved The Imitation Game. I think they did a great job at portraying Turing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoyed and loved it first time but a second watch made me question a few things.

      Delete
  4. I've only seen The Imitation Game. Meh. It definitely fits the topic, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Fair enough - I know it wasn't everyone's cup of tea.

      Delete
  5. Your first two picks I learned about from others on this hop and I added them to my watch list. Your third choice probably isn't a flick for me but I'll check out the trailer. Thanks for sharing and have a good weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cathy! Hope you had a good weekend :) Aw Billy Elliot, its Brit classic, a young Jamie Bell ballet dancing, simple but powerful story.

      Delete
  6. Nice picks! Matilda was one of my favorite movies growing up. Billy Elliot is on my to-watch list *some day*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember I had Matilda on VHS and my sister and I got so upset when my nan gave it away.

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. Thank you :) makes me want to see the film again.

      Delete