Thursday, 29 June 2017

TMP Television Edition: Medical Drama



I don't tend to watch and stick with medical dramas, which is why two of my picks are actually more comedy. In fact, I'm pretty sure Green Wing is a full blown comedy show, with added bits of drama. I'm more police murder mystery sci-fi kinda person.



Green Wing
I loved Green Wing the minutes I saw the random quick ads on TV. The show started while I was still back in secondary school and I was obsessed. It aired on Friday nights so you can tell I was a bit of a shut in as I used to watch it live. No one at school watched it, they were all into Big Brother 4 or 5 or whatever and Eastenders. I loved the show so much that I went to meet the cast 3 times for each DVD release. I got to meet my hero, Stephen Mangan 3 times and have the photos to prove it! The show is about the staff of the fictional East Hampton Hopital trust, who are in various departments, HR, Surgury, Radiology, Medical students... and its crazy. It is also very very funny. It's addictive watching. I was a total fangirl for this show!


Scrubs
Bcak in 2001, US TV shows used to take forever to make it over here. My whole family was excited about Scrubs arriving though and we all used to watch it together. It all begins when JD and Turk start at Sacred Heart Hopital as residents. Filled with weird characters and staff alike, the show still found time between the laughs for more sombre moments, as it is a hopsital after all. Getting seasons 1 & 2 on DVD for Christmas one year was amazing! There was nothing like it on TV but as time went by the uniqueness of the show drifted away, especially in the weird 9th season which I saw a few episodes of and dislikes. I remember losing interest around season 5, picking up an episode here and there. The first three seasons were brilliant and thats what I like to remember. 

No Angels 
I actually came in at season 2 for this Leeds set comedy drama about three nurses and a healthcare assistant. The four women (Lia, Kate, Anji and Beth) each with their own personalities, go through their day to day, love lives and going out on the town having fun. More drama than comedy but still a pretty good show, shame it only had three series.


Don't forget to check out where it all started over at 

12 comments:

  1. I've only heard of Scrubs, which I also chose. I don't watch many medical shows either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Green Wing I highly recommend. No Angels was just a bit of fun to watch, but I do love the main characters.

      Delete
  2. I only know scrubs and I saw a couple of shows which I thought were quite funny. I have not heard of the other 2 but the last one, for some reason, reminds me of China Beach

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never heard of Chine Beach...

      Delete
  3. I have only seen Scrubs, but the other 2 sound good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Green Wing!! Can't recommend this show enough!

      Delete
  4. I don't watch many medical dramas either so, yeah, I haven't seen any of these. But Scrubs sounds good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeh Scrubs is ok....but if I were to suggest one, Green Wing would be it

      Delete
  5. I've also only heard of Scrubs. That one is a phenomenal show, so no arguments from me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was good but lost its way. There were some amazing jokes in there and the side characters, like Ted were great. I don't know why they bothered to make that last season, almost tainted the good Scrubs name.

      Delete
  6. Haven't heard of the other two though they sound interesting but I avoided Scrubs because of my aversion to all things Zach Braff. Fun choices though.

    I went slightly older but all three were favorites of mine when they were on and I still watch M*A*S*H in reruns.

    St. Elsewhere (1982-1988)-Set in Boston’s financially strapped St. Eligius Hospital (the St. Elsewhere of the title so called due to its less than exalted place in the city residents hearts despite it being a teaching hospital), headed by Drs. Donald Westphall, Daniel Auschlander and autocratic Mark Craig (Ed Flanders, Norman Lloyd and William Daniels respectively). The series follows the overlapping lives of many incoming residents, doctors and patients and their families, including something of a first for serial TV Westphall’s autistic son Tommy (Chad Allen). Critically acclaimed series that though never a big ratings success managed to run for six seasons as a prestige show for the network. This served as the launching pad for many stars including series regulars Denzel Washington, Alfre Woodard, Mark Harmon and Helen Hunt. Laced with an absurdist edge the show could be hysterically funny and also crushingly sad, sometimes within the same episode.

    M*A*S*H (1972-1983)-Long running comedy/drama show based on Robert Altman’s film about life in a Mobil Army Surgical Hospital during the Korean War featuring the travails, both funny and sad, of Dr. “Hawkeye” Pierce (Alan Alda), Head Nurse Margaret “Hot Lips” Houlihan (Loretta Swit)-both of whom stayed throughout the series run-and the various others surgeons & aides-Trapper John, B.J., Henry Blake, Colonel Potter, Radar O’Reilly, Charles Winchester, Frank Burns, the crossdressing Max Klinger and Father Mulcahy who passed through. Beginning as a light hearted comedy this morphed through the years into one of the finest dramedy series in history. What kept it vital aside from excellent writing was the flow of characters during the years allowing for fresh interactions and situations.

    Medical Center (1971-1976)-Dr. Paul Lochner (James Daly-father of performers Tyne & Timothy) is the chief of staff at a large L.A. based hospital. Experienced and capable he is friendly with the young associate professor of surgery Dr. Joe Gannon (Chad Everett) but they often clash over medical procedures for the patients. Lochner favoring tried and true methods while Gannon believes in more experimental methods. Weekly different challenges present themselves to the doctors and nurses, overseen by Head Nurse Eve Wilcox (Audrey Totter).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard of the first two shows but not seen. M*A*S*H reminds me a little bit of Bluestone 42 (except that its not a medical drama).

      Delete