Thursday 6 July 2017

Thursday Movie Picks: Summer Holidays


Summer is here. Well, Summer in the UK is usually brief or intermittent. June has been hot, reaching 32° which is damn hot for here. I got to cool off in Edinburgh for a few days were their Summer is 18°. Summer means holidays but for me this year it means begging cinemas to let me and my friend film in them and hopefully shooting next month. Other than that, holidays will have to wait.

Now and Then
In the late 60s early 70s, one summer, four best friends believe they release the spirit of 'Dear Johnny' after a seance and try to find out what happened to him and bring his spirit peace. They also go through some changes of their own and try to make money to buy their treehouse. The film is bookended with the four friends grown up, each having taken very different paths in life but have come together again in one their hours of need. I love this film, it holds a special place in my 90s kid heart.

Swallows and Amazons
Saw this recently and pretty much makes me want to visit the Lake District even more.  While their father is still away in the navy, a London mother and her five children travel to Lake District for a summer holiday. They become caught up in a mini fight for an island in the middle of a lake with the 'amazons', two local girls and their uncle who is a spy trying hto hide from Russian agents. Its all great fun and remind me of The Famous Five. Just wish I could visit the lake!

My Summer of Love
This is a 'before they were famous and moved to America' film for Emily Blunt. Over one of the hottest summers recorded, in a Yorkshire town, Mona meets upper class Tamsin who claims to be suspended by boarding school. they two girls bond and eventually become a lot closer, but the Summer has to end some time doesn't it?

Don't forget to check out where it all started over at