Friday 15 September 2017

Janeane Garofalo Is My Idol


Do you ever look back at an era and think 'ah man, I wish I was there now'? If not, this may be a tad too nostalgic for your tastes but if you are a Janeane Garofalo fan, you may still enjoy it yet.

As I get older, I not only start to realise my age even more, but I'm starting miss things and remember, not necessarily the good old days, but the days of only four channels on the TV, computers being the size of a small car, having a stereo was damn cool and flat screens, let alone mobile phones, weren't a thing and gameboys were still around. I used to read, quite alot and make things with plasticine. TV and movies were a big thing and when you wanted to watch something you had to rewind the VHS tape back to the start so you watch it all over again. The 90s were a fascinating time, but there is a part of me that wishes I could have been a teenager or in my 20s during 90s so I could have appreciated things more. There are things that make me think that the late 90s and 2000s were 'my time' but my teens were mainly in the 2000s which feels too close. I find myself being nostaligic for an era I didn't quite experience.

In the last year, the 90s have been making a bit of a comeback, especially in fashion. Films made in the 90s are getting the 'remake' or 'rehash' treatment. Cashing in on those who loved the previous films and hoping a new audience will understand it. But before I go off on a rant (and I will), I'll get to the point of my post. When I think of the 90s, I think of action movies that seemed amazing back when first released and now seen in the cold light of the present seem brilliantly terrible, maybe even in the realm of 'so bad its good', these are movies I still think are good on a case by case basis and of course they made me think of when I first saw them. Certain actors and directors also spring to mind as well as Jane Austin adaptations, John Cusack, Bill Pullman, Christina Ricci, Geena Davis, Kevin Costner, Meg Ryan, Winona Ryder and of course Janeane Garofalo. Rooted in comedy, in particular stand up, Garofalo, not only has a pretty cool name, and is a writer, she's also a funny lady. 

For me, she is the 90s, even if the film is not set in the then present day. From off the wall cult hits (Wet Hot American Summer) to thrillers (Wonderland - I know was 2003 but still) to small but important parts (200 Cigarettes) to animated heros (Titan AE), she's been there, lending her wit and attitude. 



I read about Reality Bites (1994) in Femme Fatles film zine (an excellent zine from Australia) and saw a photo of
Garofalo looking like how I was dressed that day - uncanny and she also seemed to dress in a similar way to me too. I had heard about the film but I had steered clear as it was Ben Stiller's film, not a fan of his. Garofalo plays Vicky who sleeps with lots of guys and is the manager of a GAP. She is the voice of reason and excellent lines and dressed like the 90s embodied and I loved this. But this was not my intro to the world of Garofalo.

Now and Then was a favourite of mine when I was a pre teen, which is just like the four friends in the video although I think they are teenagers... anyway, Garofalo is the local psychic and waitress as the local diner, she helps the girls find out how someone died using tarot cards. Insert emoji with hearts as eyes as I was obsessed with tarot cards when I was at school. The bizarre haircut that she pulled off coupled with her reputation as a tarot card reader was so cool, plus she always called people 'boys', whats not to love?


Heading into rom-com territory, The Truth about Cats and Dogs (1996) seems like any other of its genre. Abbey is a vet and radio host of an animal help show, she speaks to Brian, a photographer who needs help with a dog on his shoot and he eventually asks her out. She panics tells him he looks like her model neighbour Noelle, and bails on their date. But Brian is keen. In the end Abbey enlists Noelle hep to pretend to be here but it all goes a bit wrong when Noelle starts to like Brian too. So far so rom-com, but the story is really about these two women becoming friends and turning their lives around. Noelle to have more confidence is being without a boyfriend and taking on new challenges, Abbey to take a risk and go after Brian. Ok, that all still sounds rom-com.


In 1997 one of the greatest movies ever was released and it celebrates its 20th Anniversary this year. Romy and Michele's High School Reunion was and will always be amazing. Its the film so good that my friend and I watched it back to back one evening. We love it that much. As well as the dynamic post-it inventing duo is Heather Mooney, a creation so frickin hilarious, verbally violent and with such impeccable taste, its unreal. She is one of the greatest secondary characters and I admire her and her chain smoking habits so much I wrote a post about it HERE. When you think of Garofalo, you think Mooney saying 'I like your hat Clarence, pick up the pace!'. I once tried to dress up as her for a party once, I didn't quite pull it off but the spirit was there.


Garofalo also dabbled in comic book adaptations when she was The Bowler in the terrible Mystery Men. I really did not like that film but she was still awesome with her tacky green hair strands.

I have recently realised that I haven't seen Clay Pigeons (1998) which is a huge over sight for me as the film not only stars Garofalo as a detective trying to solve a series of murder, but it has Joaquin Phoenix as the guy set up to take the fall. Never fear, I have located a copy to watch.

In comclusion Janeane Garofalo is my one of my idols and don't seem to be the only who thinks she's great. Check out this article HERE.