Thursday 19 October 2017

Thursday Movie Pick Halloween Edition: Body Horror


Raw
This is a bit of a cheat one as I haven't seen it but had tried to when it was released. This film actually caused people to throw up in the screenings notoriously. I class it as 'body horror' as it is vile what is happening to her. Justine, a vegatarian, starts at a veterinary school. During a hazing ritual, she is forced to eat a raw rabbit kidney by her sister who also attends the school. From then on she is disturbed and craves the smell and taste of meat, any meat. I do still want to watch this one and hopefully will get to.

Antiviral 
I remember seeing this at the PCC (Prince Charles Cinema) on a afternoon off and then regretting my film choice the minute I sat down, not just because I was worried about the subject of the film, but there was no one else in the room and I was slightly freaked out. Leaning to sci-fi, the story follows Syd, an employee at a clinic which extracts illnesses from celebrities and injects them into 'clients' so they can feel closer to their idols. The employee also sells viruses on the black market by injecting them into himself. When one of the most popular celebrities falls ill, Syd goes to extract a blood sample and again, injects himself only to find out that the celebrity has died. He navigates the strange underworld of growing cells of famous people and negotiates with rivals clinics before he suffers the same fate. Its disgusting to be honest, but its also fascinating. Commenting on celebrity failure and poison of today and all that.

The Skin I Live In 
I love Pedro Almodovar and I was super excited to see this film as was my sister BUT after the film we were both agreed it was a hell of a difficult watch. I ended wanting to see this film again but even a second time it was too much. Almodovar described the film as "a horror story without screams or frights" which is exactly what it is. Its about a plastic surgeon who has created an artificial skin resistant to burns and insect bites but he looses funding because he is already testing it on humans. He keeps a mysterious woman captive in his home and as the film slowly unfolds with flashbacks to six years previous, the hideous truth comes out about who the woman is and why she's there. Any one who has seen this will get this.

Don't forget to check out where it all started over at
Wandering Through the Shelves