Thursday, 8 September 2016

Thursday Movie Picks: College Movies

Not a great fan of college films as they tend to be about the same old thing or just horror films. For me I had to dog real deep for these choices. I couldn't find any decent films set at University either, apart from Starter For Ten but I wasn't particularly fond of that film. Not really a University Challenge nerd, unlike my Dad. So I've gone for those I enjoyed and found weird.

Don't forget to check out what Wandering Through the Shelves picked, the blog that started Thursday Movie Picks.


Slackers
 When I found out that Jason Segel and Devon Sawa were in this almost hidden early 2000s so called rom-com set in college, I bought it for less than £1 and sat through it. To be honest, its not that great but if you're hungover and its the nearest thing to you, it's not a bad watch. A convolutred plot involving three, you guessed it, slackers who have scammed their way through 4 years of college, are found out by a very young (and annoying) Jason Schwartzman as 'cool' Ethan. Ethan is obsessed with Angela and has been stalking her. He makes a deal with the slackers, if they get him a date with his dream girl, he won't tell on them. Simple plot but it goes all over the place.

Damsels in Distress
Greta Gerwig being herself in this delightfully odd slightly comedic story about a group of female college students who the campus' suicide prevention centre. The plot wanders away from what they are trying to achieve and doesn't make sense some of the time and even has two amusing but beautifully crafted dance numbers at the end. Dispite the somewhat strange goings-on, I thought this was a nice, yes nice, change from the usual college movie garb.

Monsters University
I can't remember if I have already used this Disney Pixar sequel, but as I'm not a fan of college films, this was one I really liked, even though I know it was not liked but others. Before Monsters Inc, Mike and Sully went to college, both wanting to be scarers. Mike the underdog, Sully getting by on his family name and no hard work end up being thrown together in a competion, the 'Scare Games' where they fight for their futures at college. I thought the games were just great fun and sometimes you just need that from Pixar Disney. 

15 comments:

  1. I haven't seen any of these but Slackers sounds like it could be fun in a goofy way. I don't care much for Greta Gerwig but her film sounds okay as well.

    I like most college films. I tried for a mix of comedy and drama but ended up more drama. My first though is a comedy I love.

    Back to School (1986)-When business tycoon Thornton Melon (Rodney Dangerfield) discovers his second wife is cheating on him he gives her the boot and decides to visit his son Jason (Keith Gordon) at college. Discovering that the stories Jason has been feeding him about his success both in school and on the swim team aren’t true and he’s considering dropping out Thornton decides to enroll and offer support. Problem is Jason is a misfit with one oddball friend Derek (a purple haired Robert Downey Jr.) and Thornton the gregarious, party hardy type who sees studying as an inconvenience which he foists off on his employees until one of his professors catches on and threatens him with expulsion. Thornton’s under the gun but everyone including the sultry classics professor he’s fallen for (Sally Kellerman) pitch in to help. What distinguishes this from other college comedies is that Dangerfield’s character is so darn likable.

    The Paper Chase (1973)-James Hart (Timothy Bottoms), first-year law student at Harvard Law School feels the pressure of keeping up with all of his studies, especially when he engenders the enmity of contracts professor Kingsfield, the toughest teacher in the school (an Oscar winning John Houseman). Things don’t get any easier when he starts dating Kingsfield’s daughter (Lindsay Wagner).

    The Sterile Cuckoo (1969)-On a bus heading to their different but nearby colleges uptight Jerry meets the free spirited but insecure Pookie Adams (Liza Minnelli) and they become friends. When Pookie shows up on Jerry’s campus they become more intimately involved but her increasingly neurotic behavior puts a strain on their relationship. Billed as a comedy but really a mediation of loneliness and the struggles to mature. Liza is compelling, sad and raw.

    Groovylicious Time Warp-The Strawberry Statement (1970)-At a San Francisco college in the 60’s during the time of campus unrest and the counterculture, student Simon (Bruce Davison) is content to view all the upheaval from the sidelines until he meets the committed Linda. Becoming aware of the things they are protesting he becomes a leader and foments violent action during a sit-in leading to a confrontation with the police. Very much a document of its time with dialogue to match this tied for the Jury Prize at the 1970 Cannes Film Festival.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You had me at purple haired Robert Downey Jr. Love the sound of your picks!

      And oh yes - Slackers is very goofy - just look at Jason Schwartzman's character.

      Delete
  2. I haven't seen any of these films and the only one I may want to see is Monster's University. These first two just don't appeal...oh well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really liked Monsters University. Not sure why it gets as much hate as it does. Haven't seen your other picks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't get it either. I think people like it keep things pure? Eh no idea. It's hilarious - plus some many new monsters!

      Delete
  4. LOVE Damsels in Distress! Monsters University is a clever pick and is good, but not great. Definitely plenty of fun, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw Damsels was weird and better than I thought. The sambola dance at the end is so good!

      Delete
  5. I've only seen Monsters University and it was fun. I wanted to pick it but eventually went with another movies because I already used it weeks ago. I'll keep Slackers in mind for when I'm hungover then, thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a hangover movie for sure :)

      I need to go back and check everyone's picks. Been all over the place lately can't remember last week!

      Delete
  6. Monsters University was so much fun! I really didn't expect the sequel to live up to the original, and I was scared that it would be a mess. But it turned out to be good; fun enough for kids but also mature enough for adults, especially young adults heading into college or trying to figure out what they want to be. Nice picks!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I wasn't sure either but it was great fun and with some great jokes, not just slapstick just visual ones were brilliant.

      Delete
  7. Hmmm....this is the second one where I commented before but it didn't take. Well, I haven't seen any of these.hahaha great comment eh? I wouldn't mind seeing Monsters University.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry Birgit - I'm changing the comments back to Disqus. I think that's what's called...

      Loved it :)

      Monsters uni is better than how it's been treated.

      Delete
  8. OMG!!! Slackers! How did I not think of that one. Such a classic from my college years. And Monsters U was a good idea as well. Never would've thought of it, but I loved it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Slackers was aweird choice for me, odd film. Actually I think its just Cool Ethan thats the weirdest with his hair doll shrine.

      Delete