Sunday 18 December 2016

Whimsical Misery Is On It's Way


 I debated writing posts for new trailers, I know some of my favourite blogs do so I felt I was stepping on their blog shoes and also, I'd rather read than write them myself. BUT a few trailers of late have caught my attention. In fact this new series set to stream on Netflix in the new year has had two trailers come out. It of course warned us not to watch and find something else to do as this is what the books said all that time ago. I am ecstatic that the excellent saga of misery and brilliance set in an ambiguos time and place has finally made it back to the screen. Of course its A Series of Unfortunate Events.


The thirteen part series by Daniel Handler aka Lemony Snicket, was a wonderful saga about the Baudelaire orphans; Violet, Klaus and Sunny who are sent to live with their so called distant relative, Count Olaf after their parents are killed in a suspicious fire. Olaf is the true villain. He thinks hes an amazing actor but really is a theif and liar who wants to steal the Baudelaire fortune. Throughout the story, at first, the orphans are passed from 'relative' to 'relative' trying to escape Olaf as well as find out about their parents and the secrets they hid. The books were released in  wonderfully designed mini hardbacks, complete with fantastic illustrations by Brett Helquist. This saga was unlike any other childrens' book, full of misery and supposed hopelessness, but with a dash of hope. Another aspect of the books which I am pleased to see in the new TV show is tha Lemony Snicket is involved, as a narrator at first but then part of the actual story too, creating further mystery.


Back in 2003 I was impressed by the film, in fact I adored it and even didn't mind the messing around with the timeline slightly BUT seeing as the film was never given a chance to continue, hearing that the show was being made by Netflix all those months ago AND hearing on who was playing the villain of the piece, Count Olaf, I was over joyed. With each announcement the TV series looked more promising. Neil Patrick Harris looked perfect in the leaked photos not long ago and the teaser trailer of Patrick Warburton as Lemony Snicket walking through an empty set was delightly. That man's voice is something else, but I'm also pleased to see that comedy has a place in this sad story because as anyone who has read the books, it is indeed a tragic tale of the Baudelaire orphans; Violet, Klaus and Sunny.


From the two trailers released it looks like the first four books; The Bad Beginning, The Reptile Room, The Wide Window and The Misrable Mill will be covered. For me, this is rather a shame as the fifth book signals a big turning point in terms of story, plus a great cliffhanger. The books covered pieces of the bigger story  but didn't go into detail until the fifth and sixth book so maybe this season will be a taster.


I won't go into further detail in case there are those who hasn't read the books and no spoilers. But from the trailers it looks to be amazing - bring on January 2017!

Just to see how good the show looks, HERE is the latest trailer.