Tuesday 14 November 2017

POOOOORGS: A Thoughts on Star Wars Post


Everyone has gone crazy for these cute little creatures that look like a penguin, puffin, seal and owl all mushed into one. The Funko Pops are out, the toys are out and pop culture pins are out! There is no stopping them. I'm just hoping that just because they are adorable doesn't meant they get their own animated spin off series or holiday special. Otherwise BB8 would have its own Netflix show by now. Porg distraction over for the moment and lets get down to Star Wars talk.


So I know I said in another post sometimes the best films are the ones you don't expect to like, well in this case I love Star Wars so I think I'm going to love in some way no matter what. But I think it works that the films you love or expect to love are really hard to dislike if you've hyped it up so much in your mind. And the internet has done the same. Does that make sense?

This post was supposed to go out when the new trailer for The Last Jedi was released upon us all but, time makes fools of us all. Like everywhere else, I wanted to break down the trailer piece by piece but when that's done, you loose the excitement. The same way a novel looses its meaning when you analyse it too much. The clues I think we were all looking for were about Luke, the resistance and what the deal with Reylo is. We got a bit of everything but in some ways, I get the feeling the only clue we all really got was Luke saying 'this isn't going to go the way you think'. In fact, cast members were also saying this too. Opening up to theories galore, I read a few and most seem tame enough for me to handle but I'm still disturbed and really angry at something I read months ago about the plot. Don't worry I'll keep my mouth shut. All I'll say is it better not go that way as it was a terrible idea. THE END.


Moving on to happier thoughts, as a keen Reylo shipper, yes its out there, I think its safe to say now especially as Dame Judy Dench herself asked about it, I'd also like to know what the deal is. I thought it was just an internet thing BUT no, it goes way beyond fan art and tumblr accounts of specualtion. They are afterall the balance, light and the dark, at least, that's my theory anyway. But that massive teaser at the end of the trailer, Reylo with the light from the fire on one side and the next shot of Kylo Ren holding out his hand, they are obviously two different scenes. Lighting does not match. This may just be a tease though, to shut down the shippers.

My other concern is sadly not for the original rebel herself, Leia, as we can all guess how this goes, but it is for our buddy 'big deal' Finn. He's in First Order uniform, undercover presumably then he's scene fighting Phasma, but I feel a disturbance in the force. My thinking is betrayal is on the cards, maybe not Finn, maybe another key player.

There is also lack of reveal of new characters entering the fold. No sign of Rose, resistance member or Laura Dern and Benicio del Toro's characters either. More familiar to bring people back and then hit them with the fantastic!


Gad dammit! Why is everyone wearing red cloaks? Is anyone thinking back to The Village where the cloaks worn by the people are yellow, the good colour and the cloaks worn by the 'beasts' are red, aka the BAD colour? Might just be me. The red is not a good sign in my eyes, its some kind of oman. The new postsers seem odd to me, as if there are all conforming, dressed in same colour. It also reminds me of the Mockingjay outfit from Part 2, Katniss Everdeen is wearing red and we all know how that turned out (if you haven't seen all the Hunger Games films or read the books, just ignore this last thought).

With a little over a month to go before its release, I have been squealing with excitement everytime the trailer plays before a film at the cinema. My excitement cannot be contained. As I did with The Force Awakens, I will hold off my reviews until after a suitable time and so that I can see it again.

I'll leave you with this thought but the resident grump of Skellig Michael.