Wednesday 7 February 2018

Art + Film



Art is always difficult to define, defend and sometimes understand. I'm not a 'fan' of modern art, I simply don't appreciate it or believe that it is worth anything. But modern art is itself difficult to define. I like going to exhibitions but these are usually of an artist, illustrator or designer I admire. I prefer the world of Etsy and craft fairs when looking for something new. Yet, there is an artist I found through comic books back in 2008.

While looking through the shelves of my local comic shop, I came across Fables. It's exquisite cover depicting various fairytale characters crammed onto a subway train with a pleasing design and colour palette, it caught my eye. The story of course got my attention and within a week I was back buying the next two volumes, ending in me having bought all the volumes I could get my hands on and reading up to date by the end of that Summer. But the artwork was what started it all.

James Jean, a Taiwanesse American artist and a New York City's School of Visual Arts graduate, has recently had the spotlight on him and his work after designing and creating film posters for 'Mother!', 'The Shape of Water' and 'Blade Runner 2049'. He also designed a poster for 'Blade Runner', pictured below.




Jean's artwork is both epic and subtle across his work whether it is designs for Prada, comic book covers for DC Comics and Vertigo comics, installations or temporary tattoos.

The artwork for these films gives hope that the art of film posters will return. No more cheap looking photoshopped images of people standing next to each other with the title below.

Jean's style lends itself to other worldly images that match perfectly with fantastical characters and places unknown. Science Fiction and fairytale surrealism are his realm, which can also been seen in his artwork. Fables will always a special place in my comic book heart and his visionary artwork is partly the reason. I'm hoping that the 'buzz' around these films this and the artwork will produce new poster art and be used in the mainstream.